Saturday, October 17, 2009

Mr. Bill Cunningham vs. M. Karl Lagerfeld

This romp in the hay has been joyously reported today by Bill Cunningham, the "On The Street" reporter at the NY Times. It depicts the recent Chanel show in Paris for which Mr., Lagerfeld built a barn in the Grand Palais. Only Mr. Cunningham calls it a "bahn" and each Sunday he transports me back to the Boston of my childhood. When I need a "fix" of New England I can always count on Bill Cunningham.

Not only is he usually right on about what he sees on the streets, spotting trends and absurdity, but he does it with panache and just the right touch of tongue in cheek. At eighty years old he rides his bike around New York City reporting on a different subject in a narrated slide show every week. It could be cute young men on their way to work with no socks on, absurd women's shoes, a color focus or rain gear. But I always come away with a much better sense of what to wear than I get out of the pages of Vogue, where they would have me in a full length Little Red Riding Hood cape and 6 in. crocodile booties, with some La Perla underneath. Not really practical.

Take today's "On The Street". Cunningham focused not on the Chanel show going on inside the Grand Palais, but instead on the totally chic Parisians who turned out at 10:30 to gain entrance to the show. One of the trends he spotted was removable organza cuffs tied with ribbons over beautiful black suits. I think I'll try to make some. Some years ago I bought some purple fur cuffs in Milan, which I still wear with black sweaters. I don't know why the trend was not more wide spread, but they still serve me well.

My daughter introduced me to a web site today - esty.com. It's where you can buy and sell handmade merchandise very easily. I've been trying to think of something to put up there, being a crafty, do it yourself, kind of gal, and once again Mr. Cunningham, you have come through with the answer. Merci beaucoup!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers