Saturday, October 17, 2009

Isn't Family Grand?


Morticia Addams had it right. She is seated, beautiful, calm and collected at all times, while around her swirls this mass of insanity. Do you remember the episode when she asked some visitors "Do you mind if I smoke?" Then her chair started smoking. I try to be cool, calm and collected when the almost ex husband comes over and pretends that everything is OK and we are a perfect little family. But last night when I told him it was time for him to go home he looked a little confused.

My daughters and grand daughter are all here for the weekend and last night Ostrich Man decided that he was going to cook dinner for us and a couple of their friends. It really was an hysterical evening. Lots of reminiscing. The things they did when they were younger.... my personal favorite game was "Orphanage on the Appalachian Trail", combining camping out, building small fires, and creating a woeful existence in the orphanage. Then there was the game of "China", consisting of climbing over the stone wall (The Great Wall) and hiding out from marauders behind my neighbor's garage.

Of course these games had nothing compared to the one my sister and I used to play in our tree house, affectionately known as the "Pirate's Captain's Club". I'm not quite sure where that name came from but it obviously combined our love for pirates with some superiority complex. Where were the Barbies we were supposed to be playing with? They just weren't our thing.

Then one day two mean boys, Charlie and Alan, came and knocked it down. The Pirate's Captain's weren't so brave that day, hiding in the porch instead of brandishing our swords at them. I know lots of mean boys these days and I'm a lot braver now. Where's my saber???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers