Wednesday, September 30, 2009

This is what hell looks like...


I adore the Willows!  The retirement community that my mother is moving into tomorrow is amazing.  They are so accommodating and they have thought of EVERYTHING that will make her transition smooth and comfortable.  Her apartment is beautiful and best of all there is a 24 hour emergency call button.  No more frantic late night calls that Michael J. Boogie Man is shooting colored gasses through the walls.

Unfortunately, they have forgotten about me and my sisters, who have been slaving away for weeks getting ready for this day and will spend the next few weeks getting her settled.  They should be giving us the gift certificates for massages and facials.  They should be giving us the free lunches.  All my mother does is get dressed up and look beautiful and fold her scarves.  (As she says "scaffs").

My sister told me today that unlike our dreams of being free and happy in our fifties we are all experiencing major traumas.   Either it's our children, our parents, or most probably our husbands.  We realize that for all those years we have been their slaves and there is no one there to take care of us.

Has anyone ever washed your underwear?  Has anyone ever folded your towels?  Has anyone ever brought you breakfast in bed (one year my children brought me breakfast in bed on Mother's Day, and they cooked bacon, and spilled grease all over the kitchen floor).  It took the rest of the day to clean it up.

Valium seems like a good option for tomorrow.  But lacking that alternative I think I will just try to take a deep breath and say what my friend Jane says - "OFF, OFF, OFF."

My good sister just said that the dinner that we all had at a local restaurant tonight was like "Dinner and a Show".  I dropped the F bomb on another sister in front of my mother.  It is all too much for all of us.  Trying to be calm, collected, and supportive, but after weeks of garage sales, packing, diatribes and abuse, something has got to give.  This must be what hell is like.

Forgive me Great Kahuna and make me well again.....








No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers