Wednesday, September 16, 2009

You CAN make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.






I've done it. And now, according to the shows in New York this week, you can too. Take this little number by Rodarte. Just cut up that old ugly leather jacket that has been taking up space in the back of your closet waiting for the season when really big shoulder pads are back. I can see a bandolier effect over a bright sweater. More bands of leather around your legs can simulate those gladiator boots that you can't afford.


The sisters Laura and Kate Mulleany who design for Rodarte have used "latices of leather, drapes of plaid cheesecloth and tufts of black feathers" to evoke a condor. I don't quite get that. If you don't happen to have any plaid cheesecloth laying around you can make some. I think I'll try it and be a little more abstract than plaid. I can see a great scarf emerging from my secret workshop soon.



Necessity is the mother of invention and if you aren't lucky enough to come from a family that saves EVERYTHING, then get thee to the thrift store. Some of the big ones are quite daunting so in order for you too to develop "the gift of thrift" I will divulge my three rules of thrifting.



1. It's all about the fabric. Scanning those racks of jackets, sweaters, etc., look for good fabric, rather than looking at every item.



2. When in doubt - buy it. It probably only costs a dollar and it is impossible to try some things on. The worst that can happen is that you re-use the buttons or the fabric. Most things can be spruced up with new buttons.



3. If you find a really well made pair of pants or skirt that are a little snug, or a little loose, buy them. Your local dry cleaner will probably be able to make the alteration for less than $15 if you can't do it yourself.



When you find a good thrift store, guard the information. If everyone goes there there won't be anything for you! One day I walked into my favorite store and saw three young Japanese fashionistas with shopping carts loaded, obviously for re-sale. My hopes were dashed. Luckily, they have not been seen again - and you can bet your grandmother's Birkin Bag that they won't tell anyone where their merchandise came from...











No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers