Saturday, September 19, 2009

Nature - only the best free show.


There was a total eclipse of the sun the other day that could best be viewed in Asia. These women used welder's masks to view the phenomenon.
Once I was changing planes in Frankfurt and there happened to be an eclipse going on. If you have ever been through that airport you know that is the stepping off point for people all over the globe. I walked outside and there were an incredible array of people from everywhere - Africa, China, South America, all totally engrossed in the eclipse. It was one of the ten best experiences of my life. More on those experiences later. ..... A woman gave me a pair of filtering glasses that she must have made. I kept them on top of my desk for years. Nature is the one thing that unites us all, surprises us every day, teaches us something new whenever we walk outside, keeps us guessing, and put us in awe of its power.
A few weeks ago I saw a bird in the back yard that I could not identify. Tried the Google search and then went to the primitive technology. The Peterson't bird book. Unfortunately Ostrich Man had taken them all. I found Birds of South Africa, Birds of India, Birds of the British Isles, but nothing to help me what was in my own back yard.
Just now I was out in the park with some of my neighborhood friends and I saw a star in the sky - it probably was a planet - and couldn't help myself from saying "Star light, star bright....."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers